Professional Programs

Students in primarily professional master and doctorate programs are considered professional students and pay the “Professional Student Governmt” fee. These students are represented by PSG and entitled to PSG’s services, programs, and grants. There are over 40 masters and 8 doctorate professional programs, such as:

  • M.B.A. – Master of Business Administration
  • M.N. – Master of Nursing
  • M.Ed. – Master of Education
  • M.H.A. – Master of Health Administration
  • M.P.H. – Master of Public Health
  • M.E.E. – Master of Electrical Engineering
  • M.B.T. – Master of Business Taxation
  • L.L.M. – Master of Laws
  • M.M. – Master of Music
  • M.P.P. – Master of Public Policy
  • M.P.A. – Master of Public Affairs
  • M.U.R.P. – Master of Urban and Regional Planning
  • M.E.H.S. – Master of Environmental Health and Safety
  • D.D.S. – Doctor of Dental Surgery
  • M.D. – Doctor of Medicine
  • Pharm.D. – Doctor of Pharmacy
  • J.D. – Juris Doctor
  • D.V.M. – Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
  • Ed.D. – Doctor of Education
  • D.M.A. – Doctor of Musical Arts
  • D.P.T. – Doctor of Physical Therapy
  • D.N.P. – Doctor of Nursing Practice
  • Still not sure? View a more complete list of degree programs here:

Re-alignment Doc

Navigating the University of Minnesota's Grad/Prof Re-alignment

Starting in Fall 2015, the University of Minnesota will classify all post-undergraduate students as either graduate or professional. This re-alignment is being conducted by the Provost's Office. The linked document forms the basis for determining which students are graduate or professional.
Re-alignment Doc

Graduate Programs

Students in primarily research-based programs are considered graduate students. These students are represented by the Council of Graduate Students (COGS) and pay the “Council of Graduate Students” fee. Most graduate programs have standard names, such as “M.S.,” “M.A.,” and “Ph.D.” If you are in any of these programs, you should contact COGS for representation, programs, services, and grants.

  • M.S. – Master of Science in…
  • M.A. – Master of Arts in…
  • Ph.D. – Doctor of Philosophy in…